23 June, 2013

Chashme Baddoor (2013) (Hindi)


Ever heard of a classic film, one that has stood the test of time, cry and wish that it was never made? That’s how the original Chashme Buddoor must be feeling right about now.

While the original film walked the thin line between being a family entertainer and cheeky humor, but in the process was genuinely laugh-out-loud, comprising of some memorable characters, the new updated  David Dhawan version of Chashme Baddoor is vulgar, full of juvenile humour that is nowhere close to being funny, and is rather pretty repulsive.

I'm perfectly okay with the barrage of comic multi-starrers that we have had over the last decade, but Chashme Baddoor hits an all-time low for Indian cinema in that department. The story of three good-for-nothing friends trying to woo the same girl would be the perfect situation to ensue hilarity, but what we get it sexist and plain mindless comedy. So much crass is filled in this film that even having a supporting cast of Rishi Kapoor, Lillete Dubey, and Anupam Kher can’t save this sinker of a film.

The main characters all simply falter due to the poor comedy. Ali Zafar clearly looks uncomfortable in a role that Farooq Sheikh made memorable. The love interest played by Tapsee Pannu, who somewhat looks like Genelia D’Souza, is repeatedly made to say “Dum Hai Boss” which becomes more of an annoyance after pretty much the very first time. Siddharth is probably the only person who is somewhat tolerable, which could simply be because this is the first time I saw him in a non-serious role. Unfortunately, try as they might, he and Divyendu Sharma come nowhere close to the brilliance of Rakesh Bedi and Ravi Baswani from the original.  

What is further annoying is that while I would have been okay with the film-makers taking the name and the basic idea of the film for this "remake", but they do go ahead and try to duplicate certain memorable scenes from the original and in such a pathetic way that I felt like throwing tomatoes at the screen. Yes! I am that mad at the film.  

Chashme Baddoor in its newest avatar is a film that should never have been made, so much so that if someone were to come and tell me that they like the film, I would totally judge them on this one review of theirs.

Avoid at all costs and stick with the original.

A measly ½ star out of 5... and I’m being very generous with that.   
      

8 comments:

  1. Never even dreamt of watching this movie. Love the original too much. Somehow am not a fan of remakes at all. Wonder if ever there was a good remake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure about a good remake in the purest of forms but some have been equally good. For example, I loved the new Agneepath and while I at one time liked the original did feel it hasn't aged well for me personally. But I'm glad you're not even dreaming about the new Chashme Baddor because then you'd be having nightmares :-) thanks

      Delete
  2. so nice and generous of you to have seen it and even given it half !! Chasme Baddoor the original is a movie which I have seen not less than 4 times .. if i remember well! Never did I feel.. its boring .. on the contrary knowing the hilarious scenes about to come would always keep me on my chairs..On the otherhand the trailor of the the new one spoke for the disaster that was made !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All in a days non-paying work my friend :-) then again, I've always believed that in order to appreciate good cinema one needs to watch bad cinema. Plus, sometimes writing a rant on a film makes watching it worth it :-) Thanks

      Delete
  3. One of the best Hindi movies (old one) and the re-make...? you reviewed perfectly. Film critics will catch you my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha thank you. The new one made me want to take a bath after watching it. I just felt bad that the senior actors were part of it.

      Delete
  4. I remember I had connected with you once after a hilarious post that you had written. Getting a chance to comment on a new post after a long time. Well reviewed. You give an exact picture of to be or not to be. Appreciate the review Raghav :-) U make a good critique.

    Regards
    Shilpi
    Shilp3005@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shilpi. I actually did a second part to that post, not sure if you got to read it. Still, thanks for stopping by and for your encouragement.

      Delete