26 June, 2012

Movie Thoughts - Is this the right time?




I've been struggling for the past year or so with trying to introduce some of the classic children films to my daughter (who is four and a half now). I tried A Christmas Story about six months back, but she lasted about half an hour before leaving. I am aware that her attention span is around the 30-45 minute mark in a theater (while watching any children's animation/film) and that is reduced even more at home because obviously there are a lot more distractions at home. In fact, a while back I tried to have a movie play date at home for some of her school friends, but they all lasted about 30 minutes into Toy Story before they were off playing with the kitchen set.

While my daughter is addicted to Peppa Pig, Dora and Chotta Bheem (Indian Cartoon), I have desperately been waiting her to watch movies like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, or Goonies, or even Mary Poppins, but alas I have been unsuccessful. The only full length animated feature she has managed to sit through, and does so repeatedly, is Tangled. So there seems to be some hope after all.


The reason why I bring up this discussion now is because this morning my daughter woke up and told me about a dream she had. According to her, she dreamt about being in space going to different planets where aliens live. So, the little light bulb on top of my head suddenly lightened up. Could this be the right time to maybe show her E.T.? She is all into aliens right about now and fascinated by their existence (or lack of), so could this be the moment I have been waiting for? As it happens I have wanted to buy some DVDs of movies that I watched as a kid and this might just be the moment I take that step and try showing them to my daughter.   

The truth remains that I can't wait for her to someday be as crazy about films as I am, but what the future holds I do not know. What do you think is the best time to introduce classic films to kids? Should I go ahead and show her E.T. and see what she thinks, or maybe wait a while? I mean the other day during #MTOS (Movie Talk On Sunday on Twitter) someone mentioned watching Rocky Horror Picture Show at 4, so E.T. should be okay?


6 comments:

  1. It's a feeling I know, you really want to introduce them to the thing you love, but it's up to you to find out which movie is right for her at that age. Luckily the two oldest one are now 9 and 12, meaning I can now show them quite a lot of movies that they will enjoy watching. At age 4 though I think that E.T. might still be a bit scary in some parts, but you could try and see how she reacts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nostra and thanks. Yeah I've been thinking the same about ET being a bit scary at times. I feel the same about Goonies and that's why I've been holding off on that too. Maybe just give her another year with peppa pig and things? But since she did mention aliens I do want to try ET and might just do that and see what happens.

      Delete
  2. I'm not in a position to give you any advice because I don't have kids and actually I'm still one, but as a person, who knows what it's like when your parents try to make you like something particular, I've got to tell: just don't try too hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lesya. I would never force it on her, but I did tell her the story of ET to her in brief and she seems interested, so at least I've passed the first barrier :-)

      Delete
  3. Raghav, why not nice animated flicks like - Ratatouille, Bug's Life or Bee Story etc. I think these films are not only well made but content rich as well. Should be a great starter for her. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a 10 disc special edition of Pixar-Disney but when it comes to animation she prefers the quicker TV cartoons like Tom and Jerry. I'm hoping if she sees real people she would relate to them more. But I keep trying whenever I can.

      Delete