12 February, 2011

Tron Legacy - "I-can't-help-it. It's-so-beautiful."




I did a lot for this movie. I walked through freezing cold to the theatre. I avoid 3D as much as I can (till they come out of affordable prescription 3D glasses ... Well apparently there are clip on 3D glasses now for 4 eyes like me 8-) but I still went for this movie. I had a sore throat and a slight fever and still I went... In freezing cold! Lastly, I paid that extra £2,- to watch a 3D movie. Was it worth it? It most certainly was, and here is why.



See the thing about me is that I'm mad about neon and black lights. There is something about them that brings a smile to my face and turns me into a kid. This little infatuation I have always reminds me of a joke from the movie "A Bugs Life" that goes like this;

Mosquito #1: Harry, no! Don't look at the light!
Mosquito#2: I-can't-help-it. It's-so-beautiful.



So with light cycles and what not there was no way I was going to miss out on the Legacy of Tron. Then, Daft Punk's music has always been something I enjoyed and I had heard good things about what they did in this film. The music from the very beginning was mesmerizing. It has a futuristic feel to it, but it pulls you in the movie. You know, just by listening to the music, that there is something visually spectacular on the screen. The complete look of the film is simply a pleasure to feast your eyes on. The sets, the lights, the clothes, the lights, the music ... did I mention the lights? Everything simply makes our everyday world look bland and boring.



Now to move on to the other thing that make a movie ... The Story! I think the movie takes a step backwards here. The original Tron had a purpose and it made a statement. Tron Legacy has it's heart in the right place and starts off with making a statement that technology should be shared and made available and affordable to everyone, but then shifts to a totally different viewpoint of a fight between good and evil. There is a much deeper philosophy that underlines the movie, but I feel it doesn't have such a great impact on the viewer. Having a philosophy based movie also means that there are long intervals of no action and all talk that do take its toll after a while on the audience. I personally could have done with a few more action sequences. I also disliked the way the title character of Tron was dealt with. His character was completely underdeveloped and it would have been nicer to see more of him playing a more prominent part (he is the title character after all). The actors including Jeff Bridges, Computer generated Younger Jeff Bridges, Garrett Hedlund, Olivia Wilde (Sigh!... Oops did I just write that?), Bruce Boxleitmer and the charismatic Michael Sheen all do a wonderful acting job. I'm not going to go into the story of the film because firstly I strongly recommend watching the original Tron before watching this one which will make the whole experience easier to watch and understand. Secondly, it's an escape movie at heart with a deeper philosophical soul, but one should see and decipher this philosophy on his/her own.



So, a visually stunning piece of cinema with a great soundtrack that lacks a strong story but has it's heart in the right place. I wanted to give it a 3.5/5 but will fall prey to my liking of neon/black lights and give it a 4/5.


Raghav

Location:Gurgaon, India

7 comments:

  1. I do agree that it was a visually stunning film, but yeah, the story just feel so far short of its potential for me. I did have fun though, and at the end of the day I can't argue with that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Morning Movie! Thanks for the comment. I'm glad there are people around who enjoyed the movie as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have avoided the film so far, but your review has convinced me it's worth a couple hours of my life.

    I also love Daft Punk and light shows...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Thanks. As mentioned I would recommend watching the original first to better understand this one. Do let me know what you thought. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, high rating. I haven't seen it yet. I keep hearing great comments about its original score. I will definitely see it someday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Visually it was stunning, but much like it's neon world the movie just had no heart in it. I had high expectations but ended up being disappointed. Also didn't like the sudden decision Tron made, just felt like a very weak bit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello. Thanks for the comment. First and foremost I completely agree with you regarding the Tron (character) ending. Major disappointment! For the rest of it, I believe I was so in awe of the neon that the slow parts just passed by without me noticing much.

    ReplyDelete